There is no worse feeling than spending your time creating adorable sugar cookies, only to have them spread out and loose all shape in the oven. You might wonder why your cookies do this, while the cookies in bakeshops and all over Pinterest always look perfect. Well, there are 5 simple steps you need to follow to make sure your cookies look as great out of the oven as they do before.
- Make sure you choose cookie cutters that aren’t too intricate. Make sure your cutters don’t create cookies that are too delicate to bake.
- Chill, chill, chill. One of the best kept secrets of bakeshops is chilling the cookie dough. You should throw your dough in the fridge after first making it. Yes, it makes it a bit tougher to roll out, but you want the butter to harden up. Then, after you roll out the dough, chill it again before baking it! Cookies tend to not keep their shape when the butter isn’t firm.
- Roll out your dough to 1/4″. Too thin and your cookies will burn. Too thick and your cookies won’t bake all the way through.
- Bake your cookies on parchment paper, or a silicone mat, so that they won’t stick to the baking sheet in the oven.
- Allow your cookies to cool completely on a cooling rack before storing or decorating them.
Following these 5 steps should help you achieve cookie perfection!
And before you go, be sure to check out our enormous selection of cookie cutters to help you create any cookie you desire.