Royal icing cookies are so fun to make and decorate, especially around the holidays. And they’re particularly fun to do with kids! It may seem a bit overwhelming at first to create the icing, but follow this easy recipe and you’ll quickly be decorating away.
Easy, Fool Proof Royal Icing
- 5 tbsp meringue powder
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 lb confectioners sugar
- Combine all of the ingredients into a bowl.
- Using a mixer with a whisk attachment, beat slowly to combine all ingredients.
- Once ingredients are combined, turn the mixer onto high speed and beat for about 5 minutes, or until stiff peaks are formed.
- Use immediately, or keep the icing covered to prevent it from drying out.
Using This Royal Icing
- This royal icing recipe will make a stiff icing. Stiff icing is great for outlining cookies. When you are ready to flood the cookies, you'll want to add a drop or two of water to the icing to thin it out.
- This recipe makes a white royal icing. Before using it, if you desire a different color, separate out the amount of icing you'd like to color and use a drop or two of food coloring to achieve the desired shade.